[Koha-devel] A Discussion on A Policy Setting Forth Standards of Code Submission, etc. [WAS: RFCs for 3.4 from BibLibre (serials & acquisitions)]

Clay Fouts cfouts at liblime.com
Wed Nov 10 17:19:19 CET 2010

"Committee" in the sense that I'm reading you has the connotation of setting
aside a space and time where a group of people can focus on a specific issue
to discuss it and work toward building consensus. It seems some people have
a knee-jerk response to the word as if it's an effort to establish a
hegemonic regime bent on undercutting the release manager's role and
authority. Frankly, Koha's long-term viability depends on creating an
architectural vision more expansive than "the next release," and a working
group focussed specifically on giving that vision some formal attention is a
perfectly good way to approach that problem. Without an obvious candidate of
eminence to establish a Linus-style authority, a working group/committee is
probably the only viable approach to it.

Yes, it will generally take longer to iron out differences and to code with
an eye toward established best practices, but the extra short-term effort is
necessary for long-term strategy.

Clay