[Koha-devel] Search Engine Changes : let's get some solr

Chris Cormack chris at bigballofwax.co.nz
Sun Nov 14 20:48:02 CET 2010

On 15 November 2010 08:34, Chris Cormack <chris at bigballofwax.co.nz> wrote:
> On 15 November 2010 08:28, LAURENT Henri-Damien
> <henridamien.laurent at biblibre.com> wrote:
>> Le 14/11/2010 18:32, Chris Cormack a écrit :

>>> Yep, there is utterly no doubt C4::Search needs a rewrite. This was a
>>> goal of 3.4. I'm pretty sure I mentioned it in my proposal, and we had
>>> some volunteers to work on it.
>> Who ?
>> What is their plan ?
>> Where is the discussion about the rewrite ?
>> Where is the code ?
>> Is there a working group on that ?
>> Is there any place for collaboration ?
>
> Wow, why so hostile, I just pointed out that it was in my RM proposal,
> it's on the wiki. The volunteering was done on irc, if i remember
> rightly and as far as I know no one has written a plan up yet. I don't
> see the need to jump on me for saying it.
>
> However, I still maintain that without a proper search engine
> abstraction layer, I would consider any work on Search to be
> unfinished.

Ahh I realise I am to blame for some of the confusion. I haven't
stated clearly, I do think adding Solr would be beneficial, and I
would be happy to accept patches that do that, as long as they do it
in a way that provides a search engine abstraction layer. I'd hate to
see us lock ourselves hard to another search engine and have to redo
it all again when we find a better one.
If we are working towards DB abstraction, lets do Search engine abstraction too.

Chris