[Koha-devel] Search Engine Changes : let's get some solr

Chris Cormack chrisc at catalyst.net.nz
Mon Nov 15 07:46:14 CET 2010

* Frédéric Demians (frederic at tamil.fr) wrote:
> Thanks a lot for those thorough tests. Your optimization of MARCXML
> records parsing looks fantastic.

They sure do, I'll be testing out your git branch you have pushed for
MARC/Perl
http://marcpm.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=marcpm/marcpm;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/use-dom-instead-of-sax

> > I've measured, and your parser is, in fact pretty fast -- *if* you
> > feed it only MARCXML that meets narrower constraints than are
> > permitted by the MARC21slim schema. However, I see no good reason to
> > limit Koha to that artificial restriction; having biblioitems.marcxml
> > contain MARCXML that validates against the MARC21slim is sufficient.
>
> It's a design choice. MARCXML is the Koha internal serialization format
> for MARC records. There is no obligation to conform to MARC21slim
> schema. We even could choose another serialization format as it has
> already been discussed. biblioitems.marcxml isn't open to the wide. It
> is written by C4::ModBiblioMarc which uses MARC::Record::as_xml_record
> function to populate marcxml DB field. So we already have an internal
> restricted version of MARC21slim schema. And we could benefit of it if
> pure Perl parsing is a real performance gain. That is for the good
> reason.

I think that getting speed and compliance to the standard is the best of
both worlds. If we store standard compliant MARCXML then our export
routine is trivially easy :) Not to mention the benefit of being able to
say we store MARCXML compliant to the standard.

Chris

--
Chris Cormack
Catalyst IT Ltd.