[Koha-devel] Search Engine Changes : let's get some solr

glawson at rhcl.org glawson at rhcl.org
Mon Oct 11 00:26:27 CEST 2010

I post this email while away from my work area and access to most of my
research materials; more specifically, on a netbook from a hospital room,
although I personally am fine. I hope my question is not thus poorly
presented.

Does the term "precision" have a meaning significantly different when
applied to the indexing of databases than it does in general use?

Quote:

"The precision of a measurement system, also called reproducibility or
repeatability, is the degree to which repeated measurements under
unchanged conditions show the same results."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accuracy_and_precision

I was not aware that precision was a problem with Zebra, although we have
found, to our great dismay with our recent implementation of Koha, that
relevancy, which I would call accuracy, is. More correctly and
scientifically stated perhaps, relevancy sucks.  Do I incorrectly
associate accuracy with relevancy?

Quote:

"...accuracy of a measurement system is the degree of closeness of
measurements of a quantity to its actual (true) value."
IBID

Greg Lawson
Rolling Hills Consolidated Library