[Koha-devel] Search Engine Changes : let's get some solr

Paul Poulain paul.poulain at biblibre.com
Mon Oct 11 11:23:22 CEST 2010

Le 11/10/2010 10:57, Thomas Dukleth a écrit :
> My concern is that we do not completely abandon the Zebra indexing system
> which we now have because of some bugs which could be fixed.  We could
> have a sophisticated Z39.50/SRU server and Solr/Lucene indexing by working
> with Index Data and with bugs fixed for a moderate service contract.
> Given the undocumented but apparently unsophisticated feature set of
> JZKit, I suspect that it will be more expensive to have Knowledge
> Integration develop a sufficiently sophisticated Z39.50/SRU server
> implementation in JZKit.

Frankly,

The search code in Koha is a nightmare. We try to construct the ccl
query, build facets, ...

All of this is done directly by Lucene/solR.

In our POC, we removed 90% of the lines of Search.pm

I'm 100% sure it's much more work to fix all this stuff than rewrite it
from scratch.
The only thing we must take big care of, imo, will be how to migrate
existing zebra-koha libraries to solR-koha. That will require a real
effort, but we (BibLibre) agree to deal with it
(and, reminder, it's already sponsored -thanks to a new french
university switching to Koha- !)

--
Paul POULAIN
http://www.biblibre.com