[Koha-devel] DBIx::Class vs current Koha's DBI performance

Fouts, Clay cfouts at liblime.com
Wed Oct 27 16:51:46 CEST 2010

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 4:15 AM, Dobrica Pavlinusic <dpavlin at rot13.org>wrote:

> You are correct that invalidation of caches is hard problem, but I
> assume that caching over DBIx::Class would take care of invalidation,
> but I might be wrong.

DBIx::Class handles cache invalidation very well as long as it is used
uniformly as the only means of accessing the database. My concern is more in
regards to the challenges with getting all of Koha's use of a given set of
tables to go through the dbic interface.

Another intersting bit is change at:

> http://git.rot13.org/?p=koha.git;a=commit;h=8b27e87c24b8efa5f4ffc9b21b8d1a97d51f2e77
>
> which takes marc records directly from marc instead of XML. This
> bypasses XML parsing and transformation and reduces number of statements
> significantly:

While this is much faster, the ISO format has hard-coded limitations that
Koha needs to surpass.