[Koha-devel] Bugzilla change - adding regression as a keyword

Chris Cormack chris at bigballofwax.co.nz
Wed Sep 15 03:48:23 CEST 2010

2010/9/15 Irma Birchall <irmalibraries at gmail.com>:
> Galen,
> By "regression" do you intend it to mean: "arrested development: an abnormal
> state in which development has stopped prematurely"
> OR do you mean: "currently on hold" ???

Hi Irma

In computer science parlance, a regression bug is one that has broken
previously functional behaviour. It has actually regressed
"regressed" past participle, past tense of re·gress (Verb)
1. Return to a former or less developed state.

In that sense. When you get a code base the size of Koha, you often to
see these type of bugs, where someone has fixed, or added something
new and in the process broken something that previously worked.
Whenever this happens, we should do two things,
1/ revert the change that broke it, fix that and then re apply it
2/ write a unit test so that we can test programmatically that the
previous broken thing is now working (and can test it is still working
from now and into the future.

Chris