[Koha-devel] Subfields 952 $i, $k

Paul paul.a at aandc.org
Mon Apr 18 18:19:37 CEST 2011

At 04:18 PM 4/18/2011 +0200, Fischer, Katrin wrote:
>Hi Paul,
>in 3.4 a mapping and a new search index was introduced for 952$i and
>items.stocknumber (Bug 5839).

Many thanks for the answers. So if we upgrade to 3.4, I'll have to modify
kohadb to take out the (varchar 32) constraint? So far, we have endeavoured
to remain "faithful" to the Master version, but cataloguing our serials is
an uphill challenge.

>You can easily add new subfields in your bibliographic frameworks. If you
>leave the mapping field empty the data will be stored in the
>more_subfields_xml column. As the name indicates it's stored in a XML format.

Perhaps easier to add specific items.xyx - I don't think the XML will be
problematic, but wonder if these are all concatenated for OPAC display?
(e.g. at the moment 520 $a and $b ARE concatenated. I'm looking for a way
to undo this.)

>There are not many lowercase letters left for 952. According to the MARC21
>Standard it's also possible to use uppercase letters, but I am not
>completely sure if Koha works correctly if you do. This would need some
>more testing, although we have done so in the past without running into
>problems.

This sounds like a possible solution - instead of "local" specialized uses
(German remapping of
995$j to 952$i in this case) getting into the Master, surely it is more
logical to leave more flexibility? I don't think everyone has the time to
follow all bugs (I certainly missed this one), maybe the development team
could assure us that 952 $[A-Z] are fully working and available for local
use, while 952 $[a-z] are for Koha use?

Best - Paul