[Koha-devel] Bug 2453

Paul paul.a at aandc.org
Thu Apr 21 23:44:27 CEST 2011

I've just been reading Bug 2453 - (very) large biblio/item handling; it
appears to have received no comments since 2010-05-21. If I understand the
situation correctly (from Paul Poulain's comments) if a biblio/items record
exceeds 100Kb then zebra may fail. He suggests:

[snip] 2 possibilities :
- fix Koha to limit the size of a biblio/items (check that we don't ge more
than 100kB)
- fix the export during rebuild_zebra.
I think the 1st solution is the best.

I am currently defining our serials cataloguing policy - choices: one
biblio for perhaps 1,200 items; one biblio per item (probably unmanageable
in OPAC); or one biblio per year|volume. Currently the third choice is
preferred, one (perhaps repetitive) biblio with up to 12 items,
occasionally 52 (we do not handle dailies.)

However, even at twelve items per biblio we will often go beyond 100Kb; we
are a research library where abstracts, indexes and keywords are, by
definition, fairly voluminous and are the "bread and butter" of our users.
Should this bug prompt me to perhaps rethink the policy?  Has 3.4 changed
this situation?  Is there anything else in the pipeline that I should be
aware of?

Many thanks for any guidance,

Paul
Tired old sys-admin