[Koha-devel] Bug 2453

LAURENT Henri-Damien henridamien.laurent at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 00:04:54 CEST 2011

Le 21/04/2011 23:47, Chris Cormack a écrit :
> On 22 April 2011 09:44, Paul <paul.a at aandc.org> wrote:
>> I've just been reading Bug 2453 - (very) large biblio/item handling; it
>> appears to have received no comments since 2010-05-21. If I understand the
>> situation correctly (from Paul Poulain's comments) if a biblio/items record
>> exceeds 100Kb then zebra may fail. He suggests:
>>
>> [snip] 2 possibilities :
>> - fix Koha to limit the size of a biblio/items (check that we don't ge more
>> than 100kB)
>> - fix the export during rebuild_zebra.
>> I think the 1st solution is the best.
>>
>> I am currently defining our serials cataloguing policy - choices: one biblio
>> for perhaps 1,200 items; one biblio per item (probably unmanageable in
>> OPAC); or one biblio per year|volume. Currently the third choice is
>> preferred, one (perhaps repetitive) biblio with up to 12 items, occasionally
>> 52 (we do not handle dailies.)
>>
>> However, even at twelve items per biblio we will often go beyond 100Kb; we
>> are a research library where abstracts, indexes and keywords are, by
>> definition, fairly voluminous and are the "bread and butter" of our users.
>> Should this bug prompt me to perhaps rethink the policy?  Has 3.4 changed
>> this situation?  Is there anything else in the pipeline that I should be
>> aware of?
>>
> If you run rebuild_zebra.pl with the -x switch (just for biblio -x
> doesnt work with authorities) this limitation does not exist.
Well, strictly speaking, you are right, with -x, the whole information
will be indexed.
But, since koha internally takes only iso2709 from zebra and not working
directly from marcxml then if your iso2709 is big... and your
biblionumber is at the end of your iso2709, then you will not be able to
get the biblionumber and therefore not be able to get the record.
And then, limiting the quantity of items indexed can be a workaround.
my 2 cents.

> I suggest running 2 rebuild_zebra.pl calls one for biblios
> rebuild_zebra.pl -x -b -z
> and one for authorities
> rebuild_zebra.pl -a -z
>
> Chris