[Koha-devel] Translation bug 6278 (XSLT subfield select pars)

Frédéric DEMIANS f.demians at tamil.fr
Thu Apr 28 19:28:12 CEST 2011

 > Since at is not a word here, but just two subfields a and t, they
 > should not have been translated of course. Incidentally, bij is the
 > Dutch translation of the English at. The word gets translated and so
 > subfields a and t are replaced by b, i and j. In most cases resulting
 > in no information.

That's why the context (the comment for translator) is so important. A
translator, knowing that 'at' comes from a .xsl file should suspect that
it isn't a isolate word but a parameter, and taking a look at the XSL
file he could see that the text comes from a XSLT template parameter.

I agree that at the first place, there is something wrong in our XSL
file strings extractor. There are also shortcomings in the other file
types strings extractors. The .po files are huge for some of those
reasons. We can discuss how to improve Koha localization/translation
process. The goal could be to: simplify translators work, improve string
extraction, improve Koha 'localizability', reduce .po files size.

For XSL files, we could (1) explicitly mark text to be translated or
(2) pick them up from an external XML file (performance warning).

Regards,
--
Frédéric DEMIANS
http://www.tamil.fr/u/fdemians.html