[Koha-devel] Perl scripts not ending in .pl

Jesse pianohacker at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 01:54:53 CEST 2011

There are reasons that these scripts lack that extension. koha-preferences
doesn't have the extension since it's a utility intended to be run from the
command line, as opposed to a cronjob or CGI script. Services just lack the
extension to distinguish them from user-facing CGI scripts. Besides, if
we're exposing APIs, it's nice to keep the underlying technology out of the
URL.

It's convention, not law, but it would be a bit of a pain to change it.

2011/7/31 Edgar Fuß <ef at math.uni-bonn.de>

> > There's no reason for a perl program to end in .pl beyond convention
> Yes, of course.
> But if you have nearly all of the scripts ending in .pl and a
> fix-perl-path.PL that seems to suggest all the scripts do end in .pl, that's
> confusing.
>
> Let me elaborate on how this hit me:
> I was working for a fix to 6390, introducing a new syspref. Changing the
> syspref failed with ``internal server error'' (not the real one, the
> JavaScript popup).
> After hours of searching and tracing my web server, I found out that
> svc/config/systempreferences was not executed, but delivered, because a) I
> had configured my lighttpd to only execute .pl scripts and b) it had
> /usr/bin/perl, not /usr/pkg/bin/perl in it.
>
> So the problem was that this one script was different from the others.
> I was misled because I thought I had broken the setting of preferences with
> my patch, while really it never worked for me with this version of Koha. I
> just never tried since the upgrade.

Jesse Weaver