[Koha-devel] Patch format

Mason James mtj at kohaaloha.com
Mon Aug 1 02:49:30 CEST 2011

On 2011-08-1, at 10:19 AM, Chris Cormack wrote:

> On 1 August 2011 10:17, Edgar Fuß <ef at math.uni-bonn.de> wrote:
>>> If you use git format-patch and then git send-email to send it to the
>>> koha-patches mailing list.
>> Oh well, I'll try this tomorrow. It's past midnight in my timezone now.
>>
>>> that's not as nessecary the mailing list is the main place
>> Is that information somehow pushed back to bugzilla? Or how do I know someone already posted a patch to the list for a bug I would start to work on?

every patch should have a bug ticket created in bugzilla, *before* the patch is sent to the patches mailing-list

so... i search bugzilla to see if someone has already posted a patch to my problem

>> However, Koha seems to be the first project I met preferring git patches git format-patch'ed git send-email'ed to a patches list. I'll try to get accustomed to that.

i think an little improvement to our current patch workflow, would be to just attach the patch to a bug, in bugzilla
an automated bugzilla script could then send that new patch to the patches list

this proposed method removes the double-handling of a patch (sending to patches-list and attaching to bugzilla)

and would help encourage people to use bugzilla to track their patches, rather than sending the patch to the list, and the patch getting lost

a good idea, or not?

Mason