[Koha-devel] Version numbering, starting a discussion

Ramon Andiñach custard at westnet.com.au
Mon Dec 5 23:18:51 CET 2011

On 05/12/2011, at 10:30 , Owen Leonard wrote:

>>> I strongly agree with this.
>>
>> yeah, i'm kinda OK with this too... (a bump to 5.8 for the next Koha release)
>
> Okay, just to be clear, I was strongly agreeing with the "screw them"
> part. I interpreted the 5.8 comment as sarcasm.
>
> -- Owen

A counter thought.
Some time back a small but useful browser called Netscape skipped numbers to bring its numbers in line with IE.
I always felt that this was pandering to IE, and letting the competition set the schedule.

That said, anything but Mozilla's current numbering scheme/philosophy! Even Ubuntu's is more intelligible than that.

As for the naming idea. Two ideas:
1. Words with roughly similar meanings to koha. (I suspect there's not enough, but haven't really looked into it)
2. Other famous "gifts" (other than koha!).

-ramon.