[Koha-devel] Bug 5636

Jared Camins-Esakov jcamins at cpbibliography.com
Mon Dec 12 18:00:13 CET 2011

Ian,

My difficulty with this patch is that it sets precedent for implementing
> both commandline and staff client interfaces for a single script.  Up until
> now, that's not be the case (as far as my research has shown;
> counter-examples welcome).  I just think we need, for consistency sake, to
> either make this the standard practice, or require separate cronjobs.
>
> So, I don't have any issue with the feature, but the potential shift in
> coding practices that the patch represents.  Is the rest of the Koha
> developer community comfortable with having dual-purpose scripts like
> this?  Are there are any best practices that can be cited for or against
> such practice?

I'm not really sure why this should be an issue. Consistency is nice, but
it seems to me there are very few scripts that would be usable both via
server and via command line, simply because the different requirements of
the two. So consistency won't be greatly impacted. The important thing is
making sure that things are documented (and this script is documented,
though I suppose POD would be even nicer, if someone was in the mood.). If
a script can handle either option, though, I see no reason not to. Provided
the bulk of the work is done in the C4 or Koha namespace, which, for this
patch, is true.

Regards,
Jared

--
Jared Camins-Esakov
Bibliographer, C & P Bibliography Services, LLC
(e-mail) jcamins at cpbibliography.com
(web) http://www.cpbibliography.com/