[Koha-devel] [Koha] 3.6.1 updatedatabase.pl [was: Checkout fails]

Chris Nighswonger cnighswonger at foundations.edu
Fri Dec 16 20:41:32 CET 2011

Moving this to the devel list....

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 1:24 PM, Paul <paul.a at aandc.org> wrote:

> At 12:51 PM 12/16/2011 -0500, Chris Nighswonger wrote:
>
>> Hi Paul,
>>
> [snip]
>
>  I see no reason why the errors you posted in this thread should/would
>> affect the ability to put a server into production.
>>

> Hi Chris,
>
> They don't -- it was just programmatical curiosity on my behalf (I have
> this very old-fashioned foible about trying to understand what I do.)

I'll help feed that old-fashioned "foible" since it will hopefully
encourage you to jump into the development of Koha at some point. :-)

Here is an explanation I sent to another dev:

I'll help feed that old-fashioned "foible" since it will hopefully
encourage you to jump into the development of Koha at some point. :-)

<snip>

It should probably still be SOP to check for the existence of
tables/columns/etc. prior to adding them. mysqldump does a similar sort of
thing by default, proceeding every "CREATE TABLE" with such as this:

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS `foo`;

We could do something like:

UNLESS (<table> OR <column>) THEN <update-foo>

We could even add a function which could be called to do this to make it
even easier to do.

Kind Regards,
Chris