[Koha-devel] Intro and question

Doug Dearden dearden at sarsf.org
Mon Feb 14 20:15:22 CET 2011

Hello all,

I realized I had never introduced myself on this list.  I am the "do everything" guy at the School for Advanced Research in Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA.  We are a non-profit research facility and have an on-campus library where we are currently running Koha.  I am responsible for all computer support, networks, servers, etc. on campus except for our public web site - that is handled by a couple of other very capable guys.  As such I get into programming infrequently, but have enough of a history coding in different languages that I can usually figure out what I need to do by hitting online references and such.  I would definitely not characterize myself as a full time developer, but feel comfortable tweaking existing code to get things working the way we want.  On our current Koha install I modified the xsl files to display links stored in the 856u field as images instead of text link, a feature our librarian wanted to function on a particular database that she is using to catalog some archival photos.  I am now working on getting this working in a way that I can contribute back and hopefully have integrated into Koha - see bug 5738.

I have this working for the MARC21 files - I got it working on the OPAC last week and on the Staff Client today, but also wanted to get the unimarc files modified as well.   I have done some coding but realized I needed to test this.  And here is my question.  I did another DEV install, and chose unimarc during the when answering the questions.  That question only seemed to apply to zebra though.  Looking at the koha-conf.xml it looks like it is pointing to the MARC21 xsl files.  What do I need to do to get a unimarc dev install working?  I have not yet connected to the admin page as I didn't want to populate the database with MARC21 info.  Does it happen automatically there?  Any guidance appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug Dearden
Director, IT
School for Advanced Research