[Koha-devel] Charting/Analysis for Koha

Chris Cormack chris at bigballofwax.co.nz
Wed Jan 19 17:58:37 CET 2011

On 20 January 2011 05:45, Tomas Cohen Arazi <tomascohen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 1:39 PM, Chris Nighswonger
> <cnighswonger at foundations.edu> wrote:
>>
>> So what are the pros/cons for server-side/client-side processing of charts?
>
> If you used google chart API you will see you can enjoy several
> features like zooming, region selection, etc that are nice. The same
> for pie charts where you can choose several pieces and work with their
> values.

I personally think we should take that out of the mix. If we were to
do client side, I agree with MJ that it should be done using free
software. Not a closed source cloud API. Again both for ethical
(friends don't let friends use proprietary software :)) and practical
reasons (depending on an Opaque API that might change makes
maintenance hard).

So if we were to do it clientside, what Free Software library could we
use, and what benefits would that give us over a server side library
and are their any downsides.

Chris