[Koha-devel] KOHA version 3.0, my question is about the advantages of KOHA 4

Clay Fouts cfouts at liblime.com
Sat Jun 4 09:13:13 CEST 2011

Github makes patch submission very easy. The typical process is to fork the
repository, commit your changes to your own fork (often on a topic branch),
then submit a pull request to the maintainer of the forked project. The web
interface provides simple buttons for forking (e.g. the LK-4.2 fork link is
https://github.com/liblime/LibLime-Koha/fork) and issuing pull requests. The
maintainer receives notification of the pull request and can then opt to
merge the new commits back into the original repository.

The service offers a nice interface to the whole code management process and
provides additional features for discussing patches, providing line-by-line
commentary, basic issue tracking, docs wiki, and so on. They offer public
repositories for free, so there's a very low barrier to entry for open
source developers.

Internally we have released LK-4.4 and 4.6 into production and are now
working on development branch 4.7. These are not publicly accessible, and
that makes development of larger features pretty tricky if you're working on
the 4.2 release as your base. Anyone interested in creating a more involved
feature and ensuring it can be easily ported to future releases should
consult us for pointers as there are notable architectural and schema
differences.

Regards,
Clay