[Koha-devel] KOHA version 3.0, my question is about the advantages of KOHA 4

Clay Fouts cfouts at liblime.com
Tue Jun 7 22:14:03 CEST 2011

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 5:19 PM, James, Mason <mason at kohaaloha.com> wrote:

> the big difference is that Biblibre, software-coop, (and all other Koha
> support companies) do *not* make their own Koha releases,
> unlike PTFS/Liblime
>
> BL and SW-COOP understand that having many company-releases of many
> Koha-forks is harmful to the reputation of the Koha project, so they
> respectfully choose not to do that... (a subtle point that only PTFS/Liblime
> fail to understand)

There are a large number of successful open source software projects that
defy this supposition. Forks are a vital part of the open source ecosystem
that provide competitive feedback into the software development process.

PTFS/Liblime is the *only* company that continues to release its own 'Koha',
> and the only company to renege on it commitment to integrate its
> enhancements back to the Koha codebase
>
> PTFS/Liblime seem to have missed the fundamental point of participating in
> the Koha project.

I think it's fair to say there's disagreement on what the fundamental point
of participating in the Koha project is.

Regards,
Clay