[Koha-devel] KohaCon11 hackfest: discussion

Paul Poulain paul.poulain at biblibre.com
Fri Jun 10 15:06:25 CEST 2011

Le 29/03/2011 13:56, Koustubha Kale a écrit :
> On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Paul Poulain <paul.poulain at biblibre.com> wrote:
>> Le 28/03/2011 12:45, Koustubha Kale a écrit :
>>> Here is what I suggest :
>>> 1) We break for a day after the main conference on Thursday 3rd November.
>>> 2) We start Hackfest in two separate nearby rooms one for teaching /
>>> getting started sessions the other room for experienced developers to
>>> hack together at peace. The experienced developers take breaks turn by
>>> turn to deliver sessions / guidance in the first room. This goes on
>>> for two days Friday 4th November and Saturday 5th November.
>>> Experienced developers who can not be physically present but would
>>> still like to participate in the hackfest, we will try to accommodate
>>> through video conferencing. Frankly I don't know how thats gonna work
>>> for hacking together, but atleast they can deliver some guidance /
>>> tips to the newbies. End of day two of hackfest i.e. on Saturday 5th
>>> November,  the developers who can not stay more can leave but they
>>> would still have had two days of hacking together.
>>> 3) Those developers who can stay more are free to continue hacking
>>> again from Monday 7th November for as long as they want. I am sure we
>>> will find a place for them to work for as long as it takes.
>> Hi,
>>> How does that sound?
>> My fear is that most of the devs will flight back during the week-end
>> if  3) is not announced/organised.
>> We must propose something very clearly, not just say "stay as long as
>> you want".
>> That's also a must-have for ppl that have a boss and must argue that
>> they must stay for one more week. For example, I think Katrin will have
>> some difficulties to argue & convince her boss !
> I completely agree that we need a fixed schedule, but IMHO its for you
> people i.e. Koha developers to propose how many days you need. I will
> try and arrange for facilities.
thread back ...

I spoke with kmkale about the hackfest. We have no alternative option
for the hackfest: the week before the main conference is a holiday week
in india, so, everything closed.
The hackfest *must* be after the main conf.

As the main conf ends on wed, the best option we see is:
* thursday => break
* friday -> tuesday (so *including sunday*) hackfest.
* as for previous hackfest, any attendee is free to leave when needed.

I like the idea of having 2 separate rooms dedicated to differents
things (training, hacking,...)

Does anyone have another idea/suggestion ?

--
Paul POULAIN
http://www.biblibre.com