[Koha-devel] CircControl, HomeOrHoldingBranch and HomeOrHoldingBranchReturn

Nicole Engard nengard at gmail.com
Tue May 10 16:41:05 CEST 2011

Okay, developers I need some help both in understanding and in
documenting the above preferences.  Right now CircControl and
HomeOrHoldingBranch have the same descriptions, but I doubt that they
do the same thing.

I vaguely remember HomeOrHoldingBranch being deprecated in favor of
HomeOrHoldingBranchReturn ... but don't see a bug for that, and
obviously it didn't happen.

Next, in the manual I say that HomeOrHoldingBranch has something to do
with IndependantBranches (is that true? if so how?)

There are a series of bug reports on this issue:
http://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=homeorholding&list_id=5333
but I'm not sure what the final consensus is? How do I use these three
preferences? and How do I document them for librarians?

Log from IRC Chat

[10:29]  <nengard> need me some sys pref help
[10:29]  <nengard> CircControl  and HomeOrHoldingBranch  have the same
descriptions ...
[10:29]  <nengard> and then there is HomeOrHoldingBranchReturn
[10:29]  <nengard> what does HomeOrHoldingBranch do?
[10:29]  <nengard> and i the manual correct when I say it's linked to
IndependantBranches
[10:30]  * wizzyrea has always been confused by that
[10:30]  <wizzyrea> but I know that it has something to do with the
way the rules are applied for circulation, and what happens when books
are returned
[10:31]  <nengard> that much is clear, paul_p was this a Biblibre addition?
[10:31]  <nengard> all three have to do with circ rules and checking
in and out ... just not sure which does what
[10:32]  <nengard> there is at least one bug to report here though ...
CircControl  and HomeOrHoldingBranch  have the same descriptions
[10:33]  <nengard> they can't both do the same thing ... or if they do
then we don't need two prefs :
[10:33]  <nengard> :)
[10:33]  <jcamins> I think that one of them is supposed to be
eliminated, but wasn't yet.
[10:33]  <wizzyrea> HomeOrHolding was going away in favor of CircControl
[10:33]  <wizzyrea> but there's a bug on deprecating it
[10:34]  <wizzyrea> and I believe there was objection
[10:34]  * paul_p reading
[10:34]  <paul_p> (hello USA !)
[10:34]  <wizzyrea>
http://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=homeorholding&list_id=5333
[10:36]  <paul_p> mmm... sorry, I won't be able to help you, it's not
clear for me too
[10:37]  <nengard> wizzyrea, okay, that's confusing
[10:37]  <nengard> gonna put this to the dev list I guess
[10:37]  <wizzyrea> I didn't say you'd like the answer ;)
[10:38]  * paul_p looking to french descriptions of those sysprefs to
see if it helps...
[10:39]  <paul_p> same description too, it doesn't help...