[Koha-devel] Social Engineering, was: How to gather better popularity data?

Owen Leonard oleonard at myacpl.org
Thu May 26 14:28:37 CEST 2011

2011/5/25 Robin Sheat <robin at catalyst.net.nz>:
> Breeding, Marshall schreef op wo 25-05-2011 om 15:13 [-0500]:
>> It feels odd to be criticized for efforts that I believe provide
>> benefits to the broader library community.  Including a disclaimer
>> does not imply that the data are being used unethically.
>
> This particular risk is always present in any situation where you have
> something that says "person/organisation A is using software X."
> Personally, I think the benefit far outweighs the risk.

The Nelsonville Public Library was the first public library in the US
to use Koha. I considered it a privilege to be able to tell others
about our experience and encourage them to make the same switch.
Having that information available to all was a benefit to us and to
Koha.

Anyone can usually find out what automation system a library is using
by going to their web site. I don't see how eliminating lib-web-cats
listings is going to make anyone safer.

  -- Owen

--
Web Developer