[Koha-devel] Social Engineering, was: How to gather better popularity data?

G. Laws glawson at rhcl.org
Fri May 27 01:12:00 CEST 2011

Rather against my better judgment, I offer the following observations:

1. Under the State of Missouri (USA) sunshine laws, the public has a
right of access to just about every non-personnel record we have. That
would include all expenditures of public funds for things like our ILS
and contracts we have with our support vendors, and thus there is a
public right to know this information. While you might argue that not
publicizing this information on the Internet would offer some minor
obstacles to a bot herder in Moscow, any member of the public here could
get the information and post it publicly, and they probably have.

2. We are required by our board of directors to do monthly written
reports of all significant activity, which would obviously include
mentioning Koha by name and issues relating to our support team,
whenever that was a news-worthy item (at time of purchase, etc). Those
board reports are also publicly available.

3. Viewing the page source of our OPAC and several belonging to NEKLS
shows the ILS name right in the page source. Certainly the word Koha
could be removed from the HTML source, but I'll bet there are a number
of general Koha OPAC characteristics that would typify Koha, and surely
many experienced people could look at an OPAC web page, or a search
results page, and immediately identify the ILS. I can some of the time
for Koha and Sirsi. It would require a lot of bleach to sanitize the
code sufficiently to hide the underlying ILS. The same applies to an
.odt file or an image that hasn't had the metadata scrubbed from it.

I don't believe that there is any meaningful way to obscure the ILS from
an experienced person looking for that information.  Our library is
quite happy to let everyone know we are running a world-class ILS, and
pleased to have a hash mark recorded for us on the ILS list.

Greg

--

Greg Lawson
Rolling Hills Consolidated Library