[Koha-devel] Proposal to Standardize Bug Number References in Commit Messages

Robin Sheat robin at catalyst.net.nz
Sun Nov 13 06:57:43 CET 2011

On 13/11/11 14:36, Chris Nighswonger wrote:
> Ok, so it sounds like we're working toward a consensus of Bug XXXX.
> I'd like to see us agree either to use some sort of markers (ie. [] or
> some such) or to proceed and follow the bug notation with a single

Two things, one is that regexing for 'Bug 1234' should be pretty easy to
do, no matter what follows it (something like '/^[Bb]ug (\d+)/' would do
the trick.) Though I like whitespace, I think it makes it more readable too.

Secondly with [...], git will strip out things in square brackets at the
start of a git comment when editing (maybe applying, not sure exactly
where), possibly leading to the bug number getting stripped off on
signoff. Additionally, git-bz won't realise you have a bug number in
there, and so will attach the URL of the bug to the bottom of the
message, nor will it automatically work out what bug you're aiming to
attach to.

My convention, which I think is parseable and readable is something like:
Bug 1234 - something something
or
Bug 1234 [3.6.x] - something something
for things that have to apply to a specific branch.

That said, I mostly do this because I picked it up somewhere else, so
take that for what it's worth :)

Aside: at Kohacon, Mason was working on something to auto-post to
-patches from bugzilla. Hopefully that'll be ready to go when he's back
from holiday.

Robin.