[Koha-devel] ILS Perceptions survey (Marshall Breeding)

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Fri Nov 18 23:41:29 CET 2011

"Marshall Breeding" <marshall.breeding at librarytechnology.org>
> The survey needs to cover the automation scenarios in place in most
> libraries.  Within any given niche, there may be some quirks, but almost all
> ILS implementations contract for support only from a single organization.
> In rare cases, there may be additional contracts to other vendors for
> development tasks, but the question focuses on support. I don't want to
> design the survey around edge cases that rarely occur.

I've yet to do a development contract that doesn't include any
support.

Is there any evidence that multi-supplier support rarely occurs in
free and open source software LMSes?  The perceptions survey doesn't
cope with other scenarios, so it can't see them.  What other LMS
research is out there?

[...stuff about consortia and then...]
> Libraries responding to the survey can always provide additional information
> in the comments field to explain any special circumstances, and often they
> do.

And does it inspire change in the survey?

> I publish summaries of the survey responses in a way that protects the
> confidentiality of the responders.  I do not plan to release the data beyond
> that.  While it may be possible to scrub and normalize the data in a way
> that it could be shared publicly, it would take more effort beyond what I
> already put in to the survey.

So invite some help?

> You are the only one that I recall that has
> asked for this in the five years that I have been running this survey.

Would it really change your mind if there were multiple requests for
open data?  Out of respect for your time, I haven't deliberately
publicised this idea outside the Koha community, but if it'd change
things...

Regards,
http://koha-community.org supporter, web and LMS developer, statistician.
Available for hire for Koha work http://www.software.coop/products/koha