[Koha-devel] Update database changes proposal [IMPORTANT]

Marcel de Rooy M.de.Rooy at rijksmuseum.nl
Wed Nov 23 17:02:52 CET 2011

Quote from Bugzilla #7167
Here is how it works:
* each database update is stored in a numbered file, in installer/data/mysql/versions
* database updates can be .sql or .pl files. 2 skeletons are provided to explain how it works
* there is no more automatic checking of the database update on each page. The librarian/sysadmin must go to the admin/updatedatabase.pl page on each update.
* the updatedatabase.pl script keep track of all updates that have been applied, how it went. And it's non-linear: 3.7.2.3 can be applied after 3.7.2.4
* The about.pl will display the highest db update applied, but maybe there are some missing, it's only the highest applied
[End of quote]

My questions are now:
How do I submit a new db update? I cannot give it a number myself; in that case somebody else could have a patch pending using that number already. So I assume that the RM renames the file. What convention do we use?

Is there still a check at login time if all updates have been run which redirects to the update screen? I would say that we do not need that check everywhere, but I would keep it at login time. Would you allow an admin to install only partially the updates? Isn't that asking for trouble?

It is not linear, but some patches with db updates will be sensitive to the order applied. Is there any logic to prevent problems in that area?

Marcel