[Koha-devel] Update database changes proposal [IMPORTANT]

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Wed Nov 23 23:46:03 CET 2011

Paul Poulain <paul.poulain at biblibre.com>
> Le 23/11/2011 17:02, Marcel de Rooy a écrit :
> > I would say that we do not need that check everywhere, but I would
> > keep it at login time.
> This idea could be investigated for someone that log-in with admin
> permission, for example.
> Does others think it's a must-have ? Here at BibLibre, most of us
> think checking the database update is a part of an update, so if it's
> not made, it means you're doing a poor job.

I think it may be a good idea.  Not only experts like you and me
install Koha.  Some hobbyists and accidental tech workers are doing it
for themselves.

What would be very cool is if the version number was computed somehow
from the updates that had been applied (which may make it go
nonlinear) in a way that we could see what been applied.  One
possibility would be for the RM to give each update a prime number
and we just sum them, but the version number might get verrrry big.
Can anyone do better or should we junk that idea?

Regards,
Webmaster, Debian Developer, Past Koha RM, statistician, former lecturer.
Available for hire for various work through http://www.software.coop/