[Koha-devel] Bug 6328 (fine in days) and updatedatabase

Jared Camins-Esakov jcamins at cpbibliography.com
Mon Nov 28 14:35:11 CET 2011

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 11:02 AM, Chris Nighswonger <
cnighswonger at foundations.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 10:27 AM, Paul Poulain
> <paul.poulain at biblibre.com> wrote:
> > Yes it does: if a customer has sponsored a feature with DB changes,
> > applying the patch to this customer before it's included in official
> > version is a nightmare. And it appends more than once a year for
> BibLibre.
> >

> IMHO customers who want features before master inclusion is really a
> vendor issue, not a community issue. Yes, we want to make changes that
> will make life easier on vendors (and therefore their customers),
> *but* not at the expense of rushing and possibly introducing a
> potentially buggy, not-throughly-tested "enhancement."

Agreed. While it's not ideal, having a separate script for non-community
feature database changes isn't that difficult, if you need to do it a
lot. And it's encouragement to make sure that all database changes are
idempotent, which isn't a bad thing. I decided not to go that route,
because any features of that complexity go to the community first. This way
someone else tests them before they're deployed. But putting private
updates in a different file is easily manageable, and greatly reduces merge
conflicts. I don't remember exactly how I did it off the top of my head,
but I think I just added an updatedatabase-cp.pl script which was run by
the updatedatabase.pl script, when I was experimenting with applying
database updates in advance of the features being committed. I did this way
back, when I needed OpacPublic and we were still working on revising the
patch for inclusion in Master.

Regards,
Jared

--
Jared Camins-Esakov
Bibliographer, C & P Bibliography Services, LLC
(e-mail) jcamins at cpbibliography.com
(web) http://www.cpbibliography.com/