[Koha-devel] updatedatabase (bug 7167)

Chris Nighswonger cnighswonger at foundations.edu
Wed Nov 30 16:58:05 CET 2011

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Paul Poulain
<paul.poulain at biblibre.com> wrote:
> Le 30/11/2011 15:54, Chris Nighswonger a écrit :
>> 2. If the db update improvements are introduced into master during the
>> 3.7.x development cycle, they must be back ported to the 3.6.x branch.
>> The only condition I will withdraw this objection under is if this
>> "feature" is pushed immediately prior to the release of 3.8.0.
> I don't understand why we need to backport this new mechanism.
> With the new system, we can address separately updateDB patches for
> stable and master version (with the same patch, I don't mean in 2
> different patches). I think that's how we must do it.
>
> Let me give you an example with actual mechanism:
> Day 1 => updatedatabase for bugfix passes QA and can be pushed
> Day 2 => updatedatabase for a new feature passes QA and can be pushed
> Day 3 => updatedatabase for a bugfix passes QA and can be pushed
>
> How will you deal with D2 patch ?
> ATM, you'll have a problem, isn't it ?
> D1 = should be 3.07.00.001 on master
> D2 = should be 3.07.00.002 on master
> D3 = should be 3.07.00.003 on master
> except you're not supposed to push D2 patch on stable branch.
> (or there's something i'm missing)

I think you have missed something. Take a look at the release notes
for 3.6.1. You will see several enhancement bugs included. These are
smallish and are included because they improve existing features. This
has been true from day one of my tenure as Release Maintainer. If you
remove the ability to back port all enhancements, you remove this
option.

I maintain my opposition to not back-porting the db update changes.

Kind Regards,
Chris