[Koha-devel] Project of KOHA Database Development for a Digital Library

ali madad ali_madad04 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 15 11:56:06 CEST 2011

Dear All KOHA experts,

We are a Digital Library in Kabul Afghanistan (www.acku.edu.af), currently we are using  Greenstone Database for our online library management system (http://www.nzdl.org/gsdlmod/cgi-bin/library?a=p&p=about&c=acku&l=en&nl=1%3E)  but it cannot support  many features and enhancements required! Therefore, it has been a high concern for our management to sort this issue out by any possible, professional and very standard solution,  please find the attached for our new database specifications and wish list.
Below are few points for which we need your kind recommendations and suggestions!

1)      Depending on our wish list, maybe it is recommended to use an Integrated system (Greenstone and KOHA)  so that to get best features out of both systems.
2)      Upgrade of Greenstone’s current version (http://www.nzdl.org/gsdlmod/cgi-bin/library?a=p&p=about&c=acku&l=en&nl=1%3E)  into new version so that to support our attached requirements.
3)      Migration into KOHA.

Our main concern:

As we have already discussed with some database professionals, one of the main issue is to run KOHA or may be integrated system on Dari and Pastho two Afghan languages, some of them were not ready to do the translation!
Kindly enlighten us by your kind suggestions and recommendations on any system you prefer so that to help us running the project independently or if you can help us on Translation of database into to Dari and Pashto languages!

Ali Basharyar
IT Department
Afghanistan Centre at Kabul University
Kabul-Afghanistan