[Koha-devel] Bugzilla changes/improvements

Paul Poulain paul.poulain at biblibre.com
Mon Oct 24 18:38:55 CEST 2011

Le 24/10/2011 18:12, Owen Leonard a écrit :
>> • The priority is used to set "patch sent". This is a problem as we
>> completly lose Priority field usage.
>
> I don't mind that we lose Priority. Priority is completely arbitrary:
> a bug which is high priority for me might not be high priority for the
> release manager. I ignore this setting altogether.
My arguments:
* having "patch sent" in priority is not really intuitive
* having it in the "patch status" is logic
* we could completly discard priority if no-one want to use it. But I
feel we could use it to set a priority as a supplementary information
(with the severity) : a bug can be critical, but happening only in a
very rare situation (low priority), or not very important, but annoying
everyday ! So I think both fields can be usefull.

>> I propose
>> to enforce the use of the "ASSIGNED".
>
> What do you mean by "enforce?" I reset the status to "ASSIGNED"
> whenever I see a bug which seems to be so. There's not much we can do
> besides point out the error.
yep, and by "enforcing" I was implying "adding this into submitting a
patch guidelines on the wiki"

>> • Components : I proposed to clean them a while ago. Now I have concrete
>> & detailled propositions.
>
> I really don't see any problem with having lots of components. In fact
> I'd vote for more rather than fewer.
really ? I always need many seconds when I file a bug to say "is
component XXX the right one" ? Other's opinion ?
At least, please check my detailled proposition, some could really be
merged/removed.

>> • The "hardware" field is useless.
> It isn't if you have a bug which is tied to your particular hardware.
> If it's useless it's probably because people don't remember to set it.
> Can we force it to default to "Any" since most bugs are not
> hardware-dependent?
>> • The 'OS' field is useless.
>
> Same as hardware: seldom-used, but maybe not useless. Can they be
> hidden when "advanced fields" are hidden?

By "useless" I was meaning "unused". I couldn't find a bug where the
"hardware" info was relevant. Same for OS field. That's why I suggest to
drop those fields. But having them being hidden would be OK for me. As
you rise this point : can we put what we want on "No advanced fields" ?
If yes, I would add Status/sponsored/priority/patch status to "no
advanced fields" and remove OS and hardware from there, you're right.

>> Could we hide all versions that are unsupported and have no bug opened
>> now ? (all 1.x & 2.x versions, many 3.0.x and 3.2.x versions)
>
> Can Bugzilla be configured to show only a selection of versions for
> which there are bugs? I'm in favor of this change if so.
I don't know, and that was my proposition & hope...

--
Paul POULAIN
http://www.biblibre.com