[Koha-devel] Having difficulty with SMTP

Mahesh T Pai paivakil at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 07:51:12 CEST 2011

"Hartman, David W. - GBTS Library"
<David.W.Hartman at disney.com> writes:

 > Hello!
>

 >   My installer is having difficulty enabling system email.   Is there a good
 > guide for setting up SMTP on Debian LINUX that someone can point me to?

Not quite sure what you mean.

"Installer" as in Koha's installer? Or the deb package?

And you are having trouble get up the system's email up and running?

Or the difficulty is in getting Koha use the system's email which is
already configured and working?

Debian typically used exim4 as the SMTP agent. For configuring exim4,
please go through #8.4.3 on

  http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch08s05.html.en

You can also see

  http://wiki.debian.org/GmailAndExim4

You may  need to run "dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config" to change the exim4
settings. If you use an external server to send mail, (like google), you
will need to add the authentication details in /etc/exim4/passwd.client

Once done, you can test whether the kohaadmin on the system can send out
mails.

Next step will be to make Koha to use the kohaadmin's mail settings to
send out mails.

There is also a file somewhere in
/usr/share/koha/cronjobs/CONFIGURE.gmail

But I will prefer NOT to use sendmail on debian, since exim4 is default
there.

--
Mahesh T. Pai   ||
It's not the software that's free; it's you.