[Koha-devel] git repo size (restarting a discussion)

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Wed Apr 4 19:00:51 CEST 2012

Paul Poulain <paul.poulain at biblibre.com>
> Some months ago, Frederic started an interesting thread about
> translations and their consequences on the git repository size.
> The wiki page speaking of this is on
> http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Git_Splitting_and_Shrinking

I think part of the problem is that doing a good shallow clone (which
would be fine for interacting with git bz and by email) is difficult
because of the number of branches that are in the repository.  I think
there's something like 1500 branches.

When you use git clone --depth 0, it tracks each branch head, so
those 1500 branches mean that almost everything is downloaded.

If you do instead:

mkdir shallow
cd shallow
git init
git remote add origin git://git.koha-community.org/koha.git
git pull --depth 0 -n origin master

then you get a 113M .git instead of one about 300M.

I still think there's probably value in rebooting the repository (I
have a slight preference for option 2 or 3, but no strong feeling),
but please next time can we delete branches once they are merged?

Or is there a drawback to deleting merged branches that I don't see?

Thanks,