[Koha-devel] MARC::Record, record length and leader

Jared Camins-Esakov jcamins at cpbibliography.com
Tue Apr 10 17:12:17 CEST 2012

Julian,

MARC::Record should proceed blithely on, like Admiral Farragut at the
>> Battle of Mobile Bay or the Light Brigade at the Battle of Balaclava.
>> The record can still be serialized as MARCXML, and large records are not
>> uncommon in the wild. As far as I know, the only way to handle it is to
>> use MARCXML instead of iso2709.
>>
>> Ok, but the malformed leader is saved in the MARCXML, so it's displayed
> in the MARC editor, and cataloguing plugins marc21_leader.pl and
> unimarc_leader.pl won't work correctly.
> Isn't there any workaround for this?

Not to my knowledge.

> More than that, Koha is still generating malformed MARC records, and I
> think it's a problem for an ILS which is MARC-compliant.

It's not ideal, certainly, but Koha is using internally a format (i.e.
MARC) that isn't really suitable for the twenty-first century. As far as
malformed MARC records go, Koha's offenses are much less egregious than
certain other ILSes'.

Regards,
Jared

--
Jared Camins-Esakov
Bibliographer, C & P Bibliography Services, LLC
(e-mail) jcamins at cpbibliography.com
(web) http://www.cpbibliography.com/