[Koha-devel] SVC templates

Ian Walls koha.sekjal at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 13:31:14 CEST 2012

Right now, the few web services we have all create their XML output using
XML::Simple.  This is not the fastest parser in the world, so I've been
looking to minimize/remove it's usage.  Looking at it in /svc got me
thinking:  perhaps we should be using T:T to generate our web services
output instead.  This would have all the advantages of T:T, and allow us to
reuse common portions text.

I think the templates would live in koha-tmpl/svc-tmpl/prog/en.  From
there, we could break down by output language (XML, JSON, etc), so our web
services could be fully customizable in terms of output format (without
having to reinvent the script, or provide long nasty if/elsif conditionals).

If we put this in place now for the few /svc scripts we have, it would be a
good test for the practicality of this, and if it works, could be a
practice to continue forward (with several working examples).

Thoughts?

-Ian