[Koha-devel] A few things you could do before I release of Koha 3.8

Paul paul.a at aandc.org
Thu Apr 19 19:54:28 CEST 2012

At 06:26 PM 4/19/2012 +0200, Paul Poulain wrote:
[snip]
>* The bug 7979 introduces a new stylesheet and homepage for the staff
>interface. I've setup the sandbox with this bug. If you want to have a
>look, head here = http://pro.test1.biblibre.com/ login/password=
>test/test . Many people already had a look at this new design. We made
>some tweaks. Please *don't* say that you would prefer another color or
>something like that: it's something we would debate for years. Gaetan,
>that made the design, will add a wiki page in the next days, to explain
>how to tweak this design using intranetusercss. But, if you find
>something *technically wrong*, please report it. I plan to push this
>patch just before releasing (i've checked it doesn't change any string :
>the french homepage is fully translated).

Combining the search functions into one box is certainly a step forward,
but ... very respectfully, it's bloatware. Firebug pagespeed finds a 23%
increase in transfer size:

      | TypeFile         Size         Transfer Size
      |-------------     --------     -------------
Old: | 24 resources     548.4kB      146.6kB
New: | 38 resources     587kB        180.8kB

The "old" fitted nicely onto one screen without scrolling; for the "new"
you have to scroll for all functions except search.  We feel that this is
very important (ergonomics, functionality, simplicity, work flow, speed.)

Adding a new Marc record now requires 2 clicks instead of one.

Why "buttons and images" instead of the much more compact "a href" type
underlined text.  Our cataloguers found it "gimmicky", and two of them felt
vaguely insulted in their abilities to use a simple html page presentation.

We'd have to experiment to see how our "news and links" can be functionally
fitted to the left hand side of the screen.

Question:  can the css, templates etc from 3.6 be retained?  Or do the mods
permeate further?

We're certainly not opposed to progress, and recognize the work that you've
put into this, but do not see any advantages to this "P5 - low enhancement"
bug.

Thanks - Paul