[Koha-devel] A few things you could do before I release of Koha 3.8

Paul paul.a at aandc.org
Thu Apr 19 22:47:23 CEST 2012

At 02:54 PM 4/19/2012 -0400, Owen Leonard wrote:
> > ... very respectfully, it's bloatware. Firebug pagespeed finds a 23%
> > increase in transfer size:
>
>There's no way to "respectfully" use the term "bloatware."

If I've offended you, please accept my humble apologies.  We use the term
rather loosely to describe an increase in code size (in this case 23% - see
my previous post) combined with a (perceived) decrease in user
friendliness.  If there's a better term, I'll be most happy to use it.

> > The "old" fitted nicely onto one screen without scrolling; for the
> "new" you
> > have to scroll for all functions except search.
>
>What are the dimensions of your browser window? It should be possible
>to make it more flexible.

We us a standard setting of 1024 x 768 on all monitors in our organization
(from end-user kiosks to my desk-top.)  For a graphical comparison, please
see: <http://navalmarinearchive.com/admin/koha_home_page_comparison.html>.

> > Adding a new Marc record now requires 2 clicks instead of one.
>
>True, if you do all your cataloging using the default framework.

Or any other framework, surely?  It's only when you get to the
koha-admin/cgi-bin/koha/cataloguing/addbiblio.pl page that the choice of
frameworks is available.

> > We'd have to experiment to see how our "news and links" can be functionally
> > fitted to the left hand side of the screen.
>
>The display of news is essentially unchanged in this version.

Not from what we can see - again please see the "comparison page" link above.

> > Question:  can the css, templates etc from 3.6 be retained?  Or do the mods
> > permeate further?
>
>The changes are primarily CSS-based with the exception of the removal
>two links, "Add MARC record" and "System preferences."

Fine - thanks.  The css is no problem, but where is the removal of the two
links?  In a perl script or in a template?

Best - Paul