[Koha-devel] A few things you could do before I release of Koha 3.8

Paul paul.a at aandc.org
Fri Apr 20 23:03:22 CEST 2012

At 10:28 AM 4/20/2012 +0200, Paul Poulain wrote:
>Le 19/04/2012 22:47, Paul a écrit :
[snip]
> > We us a standard setting of 1024 x 768 on all monitors in our
> > organization (from end-user kiosks to my desk-top.)  For a graphical
> > comparison, please see:
> > <http://navalmarinearchive.com/admin/koha_home_page_comparison.html>.
>Yikes ! there's something wrong with your display of the display
>introduced by bug 7979 !!! (and I understand why you're complaining now).
>Attached is how it look for (all of ?) us. The menus are on the RIGHT of
>the news, not BELOW !
>
>which version of FF are you using ? any idea welcomed !

Paul - merci d'avoir répondu ...

FF is version 11.0 (the latest, I think).  Now to the nitty gritty.  The
html|css layout employs nested <div>s which are much more difficult to
control across varying sized monitors compared to a <table width="100%">.
The <div> does not resize vertical height to respect an overall width -- if
you want to do that you have to introduce a horizontal scroll bar (js?)
which can get ugly -- whereas the <table> will wrap text wherever it can to
respect fixed width.

With FF, I can, by reducing font size ( <ctrl> + <minus> ) bring the
graphical menu back to your desired position.  I thought this might have
been because "font size" is not set in CSS, not even inherited from "body",
but a live edit to staff-global.css adding a line such as: font-size: 13px;
or font-size: 1em; in the body section has no effect.

FYI Chrome 16.0.912.77 also breaks the page in the same way (and can be
corrected with <ctrl> + <minus>), as does Opera 11.62 and Safari 5.1.1.  I
only have access to version 6.0.2900 of M$ Exploder -- and it breaks the
page but cannot be corrected.

The problem with using <ctrl> + <minus> is that a) most users don't know
about it, and b) you have to reverse it (<ctrl> + <plus>) when you get to
the following page ...

... et ça, c'est ennuyeux.

Amitiés et a+
Paul
[and apologies, I don't have an available sandbox right now - nor really
the time - to do a test install of 3.8.  I'm still testing all sorts of
combinations of memcached, fcgid and Squid on 3.6 with various flavours of
Apache 2.2 and 2.4 -- and of course I can't risk our production server.]