[Koha-devel] SQL reports [error]

Paul paul.a at aandc.org
Mon Apr 30 18:14:28 CEST 2012

At 11:21 AM 4/30/2012 -0400, Jared Camins-Esakov wrote:
>Paul,
>On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Paul Poulain <paul.poulain at biblibre.com>
>wrote:
>Question to all = could it be a good idea to let superlibrarians execute
>dangerous SQLs like the one forbidden by the test ?
>Otherwise asked: could we add a
>unless permission eq 'superlibrarian'
>condition ?
>
>( ie: "with great power comes great responsibility" - at spiderman uncle- )
>
>We were actually just discussing that on #koha a few days ago. I argued
>that only the database user (i.e. user 0) should be allowed to do it. If
>you have the direct login, there's nothing you can't do with the system
>just by logging into the database.

Pls forgive my lack of understanding, but who is "user 0"?  Is this just my
credentials on the server? Because in our "patrons" list, there is no
'kohauser' and 'paul' (me, 'kohauser' for the server CLI) only appears as
#1 and uses a different password.

At a more general level, I would agree with Paul P.'s suggestion -- if the
"top" administrator of the system is comfortable with the security (backups
and script testing), why can't [s]he delegate admin tasks?

Best - Paul (the other Paul|l'autre Paul)