[Koha-devel] About Release process

Paul Poulain paul.poulain at biblibre.com
Thu Aug 2 10:46:47 CEST 2012

Le 19/07/2012 11:12, Fischer, Katrin a écrit :
> Hi all,
Hi all,

> Who will be testing and who will be fixing bugs? I think the problem
> will only get moved a bit in time, but it will still be there. Both
> branches will diverge quickly as soon as patches are only pushed to one
> of them. Then we will start to need different patches for bug fixes,
> patches will not apply, testers will have to test on each branch
> separately etc.
I've been unclear. What we plan to do with Jared is pushing patches on
master, and also pushing bugfixes/non-core enhancements to 3.10 branch.

That's the workflow we already have for the stable release. The idea is
to branch 3.10 soon to ensure the best possible stability. We will
encourage developers to test things against master, we (the RMs) will
take care of deciding if something is to push against master only or
against master and 3.10

I think we can say this workflow is tried for 3.10, we will decide after
the release if it is adopted for the next releases.

I'll announce the updated timing in my next RM newsletter (that i'll
publish tomorrow, before leaving for vacation)
 * today => sept 22 => development process
 * sept 22 => feature freeze, no more large or core enhancements pushed,
whatever the date of submission of the patch. 3.10 version is branched
in git.
 * oct 22 => string freeze, no more string changes
 * nov 22 => Koha 3.10.0 is released

> I am also not persuaded moving the release date is a good idea, because
> we switched to time based releases for having reliable release dates and
> being able to plan. I also fear by moving it to November, we will move
> it right into the "end of year madness". Also we will maybe have the
> same problem again with a RM from a different country/continent. So if
> we decide to move the dates, please let us stick to those forever.
In French we have an expression that is "you must choose your poison my
friend". It means there is no "good" option, you just must choose the
less annoying one.
Moving by 1 month is the best option I can see.
Could the release of a 3.10.0RC1 -or 3.9.99 the numbering doesn't
matter-, on Oct 22th please you ? That's an option I could deal with.

--
Paul POULAIN
http://www.biblibre.com