[Koha-devel] Officially supported OS versions

Ian Walls koha.sekjal at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 16:57:07 CEST 2012

Koha Developers,

As I try to get back in the swing of things after a long absence, I'm
finding a lot of changes to Koha's dependencies to be particularly
frustrating, as I need to add new package repositories or even upgrade my
OS.

This leads me to the question:  What OS versions does Koha run on?  This is
both a descriptive question (what's true now) as well as a prescriptive one
(what systems SHOULD Koha run on).

I should think that Debian 6+ is a given.  Any current Ubuntu LTS may also
be appropriate, though the current situation has me unable to install a
dependency on 10.04.  In the past, I know that RedHat installs have been
particularly vicious, and may not even be possible at this time.

Having a list of supported OS versions would simplify the lives of the QA
team, because we would only need to test those systems that we've agreed to
support.  If someone can get Koha working on another OS, more power to
them, but I think it's reasonable for people with moderate technical skills
to be able to get Koha up and running on recommended systems without too
many steps.

One implication of this would be that patches introducing dependencies not
easily available on a supported system would be rejected or deferred until
such time as they were easily available.  So, for example, if a patch
introduced a dependency that's packaged for Debian Wheezy, but not for
Squeeze, it would not be added to Koha until Wheezy was released.

Thoughts, ideas, concerns, questions?

-Ian