[Koha-devel] 3.8.4 interim [was: koha-zebra-daemon not starting]

Paul paul.a at aandc.org
Wed Aug 22 21:20:11 CEST 2012

At 10:04 PM 8/22/2012 +0800, Mark Tompsett wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>And having just looked through the 3.8.4 files in
>/install_misc/ubuntu*.packages, I have realized my patches didn't make it
>into the 3.8.X stream. I'll have to bug report and do a 3.8.X specific bug
>patch (they are in 3.6.7)... But that aside. As I was just chatting with
>tcohen on IRC, he reminded me that yaz3 was the problem.
>
>I actually finished looking at the ubuntu.packages file and installed these:
>$ sudo apt-get install apache2 daemon gettext mysql-server
>libmysqlclient18 yaz yaz-doc libyaz4 libyaz4-dev idzebra-2.0
>idzebra-2.0-common idzebra-2.0-doc idzebra-2.0-utils libidzebra-2.0-0
>$ sudo apt-get install libidzebra-2.0-dev libidzebra-2.0-mod-alvis
>libidzebra-2.0-mod-grs-marc libidzebra-2.0-mod-grs-regx
>libidzebra-2.0-mod-grs-xml libidzebra-2.0-mod-text
>$ sudo apt-get install libidzebra-2.0-modules libxml2-utils

Mark - tnx for your interest (and sorry to read that Chris C. is ducking
out of this thread -- tnx for all you do.)  I managed to have a quick look
at it again this morning, and hope to find another hour before the day is
out, but I came to roughly the same conclusion.

yaz3 must be replaced by yaz4. I ended up reinstalling the server [again]
to be certain that everything was clean, and by:

$ sudo apt-get install libyaz4
PLUS
libyaz4-dev
libnet-z3950-zoom-perl
libxml-libxslt-perl
libgraphics-magick-perl
liblingua-stem-snowball-perl
libtemplate-perl
libtemplate-plugin-htmltotext-perl
liblingua-ispell-perl
libhtml-template-pro-perl
libreadonly-xs-perl
libtest-strict-perl

THEN using:

$ sudo dpkg --set-selections < install_misc/ubuntu.packages
$ sudo dselect

you get all the dependencies properly.  Starting with dphg + dselect
somehow *half* installs about 50 i386 bits and pieces, and while

$sudo apt-get purge .*:i386

cleaned up quite nicely, I did a complete 12.04 re-install to make sure
everything was copacetic.

I did need to add the koha repository to get one file
[template::htmltotext] as this is not an Ubuntu|Debian file, but is
recorded after install as "koha".  FYI, getting Robin's pgp required a
couple of steps that you did not mention. Using:

$ wget http://debian.koha-community.org/koha/gpg.asc | sudo apt-key add -

gives the error "GPG error: http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper Release: The
following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not
available: NO_PUBKEY 14D36485A99CEB6D"

To correct this:
$ gpg --recv-keys 14D36485A99CEB6D

And then add it to apt-keys:
$ gpg --export --armor 14D36485A99CEB6D | sudo apt-key add -

works fine.

BTW, you wrote earlier:

>Which way should you do?
>Are you going to develop, submit patches, etc for a non-production system?
>If yes, then (3) GIT!
>Are you using a debian-based OS? If yes, then (1) Packages!
>For everything else, there is (2) Tarball.

While I'd love to have time to "submit patches", I juts seem to spend too
much time maintaining a production system.  I do not use a pure Debian
system, but Ubuntu for all our servers and workstations.  Hence your "For
everything else, there is tarball."  My current aim is to get the
production server onto 3.8.x from 3.6.x, but need to document (internally
here) how to do this cleanly.

The tarball has always worked extremely well on i386 machines -- I just get
the impression (not proven) that Ubuntu 12.04 gets its knickers in a twist
on AMD64.  But with a little time and effort workarounds can be
found.  Probably nothing wrong, just new quirks, with either Ubuntu or
Koha, but I do not need to be under pressure for the production upgrade.

Again tnx and more later - I'm rushing off to an outside meeting.

Best - Paul