[Koha-devel] Automatic detection of "does not apply" patch

Paul Poulain paul.poulain at biblibre.com
Fri Feb 10 17:50:49 CET 2012

Hello,

I wrote a small script that automatically retrieve all patches that
"Needs signoff" and try to apply them on master. If it's not possible,
the script can also update the status on the bug.

I'll push the script on misc/devel/ directory (that will be created)

I was wondering what to do with this script. The script can be run
regularly, and automatically change the status of the bug, adding a
comment saying "The script misc/devel/testbugzillapatches.pl has
detected that this patch does not apply anymore:" with the git error
message.

I ran the script, with the update of bugzilla commented, and can already
say the following patches don't apply:
3571, 4032, 5166, 5786, 5787, 5788, 5877, 5911, 6296, 6334,
 6504, 7411, 7430
(13 patches on 77 waiting for being signed-off)

My proposition is:
* to push this patch into Koha, to let everybody know how it works
* run it myself regularly, something like every friday. In some
weeks/months, once i'm sure there are no hidden problems with the
script, run it cronly, from jenkins

PS: I also could easily check for signed off patches, just in case some
of them don't apply anymore before being QAed

PS2: the only problem i've found is when a patch depends on another one.
My script won't be able to detect that and will mark "does not apply". I
think it's an uncommon situation that we can deal with, but switching
back to "need signoff" when the initial patch is pushed.

--
Paul POULAIN
http://www.biblibre.com