[Koha-devel] Tables from InnoDB to MYISAM

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Tue Jan 17 18:12:13 CET 2012

Hi,

On 01/17/2012 11:54 AM, Paul Poulain wrote:
> * innoDB has a *big* problem with deletion, and space is not retrived.
> so those tables, that have temporary data only are good candidates to be
> myISAM

Although as long as one uses the innodb_file_per_table option,
recovering space from InnoDB scratch tables is easy.

> * those tables don't have any foreign constraint, that myISAM don't
> manage, so it's OK

message_queue does have constraints, actually, and justifiably so if one
uses it as a log of notifications sent to the patron.

> * those tables are very small, fast to write, so the lock table issue
> that Colin rises is not a big deal.

Well, depends on scale.  I could imagine very large Koha sites that
retain message history having large message_queue tables.

> We have this on all our customers, without any performance issue. (not
> sure for merge_authorities, but sure for sessions&  zebraqueue)

Faster yet, of course, is to not store sessions in MySQL at all, and use
memcached.  Of course, the tradeoff is a little more work if one wishes
to run reports on OPAC sessions.

All of that said, MyISAM is a reasonable choice for a default storage
enginge for sessions, zebraqueue, and need_merge_authorities.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton