[Koha-devel] add the Smart::Comments perl module to Koha, a good idea?

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Fri Jan 20 15:48:36 CET 2012

Hi,

On Jan 20, 2012, at 2:59 AM, Mason James wrote:
> i think i'm gonna send a patch to add the S::C module as a Koha dependency, a good idea?

As an optional dependency, maybe.  But there's nothing stopping anybody from using it for their debugging now, right?

Smart::Comments is a source filter -- and consequently may cause a modest but measurable performance hit if it were enabled across the board -- and some cursory Googling suggests that it may not have played well with mod_perl in the past.  I don't know, and haven't yet tested, whether that's still the case, but I do think that should be checked before such a patch is accepted.

Thinking aloud, perhaps (for Debian and friends) maybe it belongs as a dependency brought in by a new koha-dev-tools package?

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton