[Koha-devel] add the Smart::Comments perl module to Koha, a good idea?

Mason James mtj at kohaaloha.com
Tue Jan 24 06:27:18 CET 2012

On 2012-01-21, at 3:48 AM, Galen Charlton wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Jan 20, 2012, at 2:59 AM, Mason James wrote:
>> i think i'm gonna send a patch to add the S::C module as a Koha dependency, a good idea?
>
> As an optional dependency, maybe.  But there's nothing stopping anybody from using it for their debugging now, right?
>
> Smart::Comments is a source filter -- and consequently may cause a modest but measurable performance hit if it were enabled across the board -- and some cursory Googling suggests that it may not have played well with mod_perl in the past.  I don't know, and haven't yet tested, whether that's still the case, but I do think that should be checked before such a patch is accepted.

i was curious and did a google-search too...

looks like the thread below, is the only mention of smart::comments not behaving on mod-perl
http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=850248

and in the same thread, someone else challenges that idea, saying s::c looks mod-perl clean

> Thinking aloud, perhaps (for Debian and friends) maybe it belongs as a dependency brought in by a new koha-dev-tools package?

so, if smart-comments works on mod-perl and we can use a system where the module is loaded only when $DBUG is set - it's a useful addition to Koha debugging

> Regards,
>
> Galen
> --
> Galen Charlton
> Director of Support and Implementation
> Equinox Software, Inc. / The Open Source Experts
> email:  gmc at esilibrary.com
> direct: +1 770-709-5581
> cell:   +1 404-984-4366
> skype:  gmcharlt