[Koha-devel] link_bibs_to_authorities.pl can corrupt records

Paul paul.a at aandc.org
Fri Jan 27 19:41:00 CET 2012

At 04:07 PM 1/27/2012 +0100, Paul Poulain wrote:
>Le 06/01/2012 22:45, Paul a écrit :
>
>Hi Paul, it's Paul ;-)
>
>I don't understand what you mean here:
> > (kudos to the development team, average LAN response time
> > is down from 4.7 secs to well < 1 sec.)
>Do you mean you have 4.7s response time on 3.2 and now have <1sec on 3.6
>? I can't figure why you get a so big boost, I must have misunderstood
>something !

Bonjour cher homonyme,

It also involved a change in server, but other usage did not show anywhere
near the same gain e.g. a mysql based ap to dynamically list our "used
books for sale" from a static webpage went from 0.8 to 0.6 secs.  There
could be some latency issues here, but I have tried to sort out why Koha
improved so much, and while this is not definitive, here are some areas
that we noted:

         - memcached appears to *not* have worked -- or at least not
properly -- on 3.2.  I think this was a serious issue for zebra
         - I installed Apache as worker + fastcgi rather than prefork
         - we use a few custom modules (barcode and call number in
particular).  For 3.2, we had used them as a subroutine of the standard
Koha code -- now I have written them as standalone replacements.

Additionally, we have noticed that the "old" 3.2 which we still use as a
sandbox and for training purposes, is getting slower and slower.  I am
*guessing* that it's crud in the mysql which seems to retain a lot of
"history" and/or I did not do a clean install after removing wine (a keen
volunteer had installed that so as to be able to use MarcEdit which still
didn't work), but have not yet had time to look in detail.

But the gain is still very real.  Our cataloguers' rate has improved
dramatically (in part I am sure the psychological effect of a system that
appears much slicker.)

Avec mes meilleurs voeux pour cette nouvelle année,
Paul