[Koha-devel] About Release process

Jared Camins-Esakov jcamins at cpbibliography.com
Wed Jul 18 18:51:09 CEST 2012

Owen,

>     - branch the release on git. master goes his way for N+1, major ENH
> > can be pushed here. N is still controlled by the RM, N-1 controlled by
> > the RMaint
>
> I'm not sure I understand this aspect of it. The branching is to allow
> enhancements to still be pushed somewhere while what-was-master is in
> feature freeze? I would think there is some benefit of not pushing any
> enhancements *anywhere* to encourage folks to be bug-fixing instead.

That is correct. As RM presumptive (but perhaps someone else would like to
be RM, and eliminate my presumptive status? There's still time :D ), my
plan for this period would be to push any enhancements that might be
submitted only after bugfixes have been dealt with. Ideally it will be
possible to get all submitted enhancements pushed to Master during this
period, but given the volume of patches that can precede a release, at my
discretion I may delay large features until after the release of 3.10.0.

Paul and I discussed this at length, actually. I originally suggested not
pushing any large enhancements to master (i.e. 3.11) during the 3.10
feature freeze, but Paul (quite reasonably, I think) argued that not
pushing enhancements that were sitting in the queue would not serve to get
those developers working on bugfixes, but rather just result in a heavier
burden on the RM for 3.12 once 3.10.0 was released. As a compromise, any
enhancements that can be pushed will be, but anything that gets in the way
of the more important bug fixing will not be pushed until 3.10.0 has left
the nest.

Hope this clarifies.

Regards,
Jared

--
Jared Camins-Esakov
Bibliographer, C & P Bibliography Services, LLC
(e-mail) jcamins at cpbibliography.com
(web) http://www.cpbibliography.com/