[Koha-devel] Ubuntu support

Mark Tompsett mtompset at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 19 04:08:14 CEST 2012

Greetings,

I'd like to point out that development generally occurs in Debian-based
environment, so descendent-OS' should work, but are not as well supported.
The organization I am with has more people familiar with Ubuntu than Debian,
so I chose Ubuntu for the purposes of having someone else being able to take
over. I hope the following ramble is useful somehow.

Tomas wrote:
> $ dselect --set-selections install_misc/ubuntu.packages
> $ dselect install

I think you meant to have a '<' in there. :)

Actually, as I was not familiar with and am still not familiar with the
packages, I did not include them in my reworking of the instructions on the
wiki:
    http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Koha_on_Ubuntu
There are still some things I'd like to update on it, but haven't gotten
around to it yet. Also, I suppose I just prefer to keep Ubuntu things Ubuntu
and Debian things Debian. That's just my personal preference.

You have correctly pointed out that the ubuntu.packages and other non-debian
files are out of date, need renaming, or are sometimes confusing. This is
why I worked on updating the wiki page, as I didn't have a development
system at the time.

There is a perl script, koha_perl_deps.pl -m, which lists missing things,
and it is possible to transform Blah::blah into an 'aptitude search':
$ aptitude search blah-blah-perl
which might be business-isbn-perl, for example.

There was 1 OPTIONAL dependency that my development system had to borrow
from an external, non-default repo while setting up my development system
under Ubuntu 12.04. This would mean that installing from packages are
probably okay and generally recommended (see Chris Cormack's email), though
it is not my personal preference under Ubuntu. However, Chris' email
suggests there are packages for Ubuntu. I think I may go looking.

At this time, as 3.6.X and 3.8.X are the two active versions, even though
Ubuntu 8.04 LTS is supported until next year, it doesn't make sense to try
to support it. Both 10.04 LTS and 12.04 LTS work with both active versions
of Koha, though 12.04 plays nicer in terms of most dependencies are in the
default repositories, particularly for 3.6.X. Though, it doesn't make sense
to install 3.6.X now, given that 3.10 will come out in a few months.

And at least one of those bug reports you reference is mine. :)

GPML,
Mark Tompsett